Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Its been too long!

So... I know its been a while since I last wrote. And so much has happened that its quite overwhelming to imagine putting it all down into writing in one sitting. So, I'm going to bring this blog up to date in a couple of days.

I am currently living just outside of Blenheim, New Zealand (go on, googlemap away). I'm staying at this dormitory style hostel for seasonal workers (www.duncannon.co.nz). Its a great setup because all of my fellow harvest workers at the winery that I'm working at are all living together and cooking together and hanging out together, etc. We already have a pretty tight-knit group, which is fun!

If you didn't know already, I am planning to complete a winery internship for the duration of the 2010 southern hemisphere harvest at Delegat's Wine Estate in the Marlborough wine region of New Zealand. We had a few days of orientation last week and were planning to start work this last Monday. However, the grapes are about a week behind schedule so they gave us one full week of vacation, rent free! So, I've had a week off and we plan to start work for real this coming Monday. I'm really excited!

The winery that I'm working at is incredible. Its a very new facility and its completely state of the art. Delegat's sells wine under the Delegat's label here in New Zealand, but they are most famous for the Oyster Bay label which has been extremely successful internationally. I'm sorry to say to fellow Iowans and midwesterners that you may have to head to one of the coasts to get your mitts on a bottle!  :(

Its quite a large winery by most people's standards, but having previously worked at the largest grape crush facility in the world for Gallo in Fresno, California, my scale is a little off. The facility is beautiful though! Rows of stainless steel tanks, shiny new presses, stacks of french barrels, and the building itself is quite stunning on the flat landscape of the Wairau Valley.

Well thats all for now! More to come these next couple of days: mountain biking the Marlborough Sounds, my arrival and adventures pre Blenheim, and a smattering of random stories and adventures here in Blenheim.

3 comments:

  1. Lee, Old Crow is touring in NZ!! It'd be a great show. :) http://www.crowmedicine.com/tour.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, lee. we met you at a bar in santa monica in january. you happened to sit down at our table and then we realized we were all from iowa. you wrote this blog address down on a napkin.
    glad to see you survived your bike ride in mexico. you are quite the adventurer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lee,
    We've been thinking about you & your NZ adventure! We're sure you're having a great time but would love to know more. Your recent post says something about finishing 2010 in NZ. Does that mean you're there for the rest of this year after all? If not, I'll be in LA May 13-19. Wanna have lunch again? :) Love you! --Aunt Robyn

    ReplyDelete